Saturday 3 May 2014

What Lies Before Me...

Here we are at another 1st and this time it's the first of May...

Ooops! This is what happens when good intentions get waylaid and a person gets laid low by a hideous migraine.

But I'm back, albeit a little overdue, which means it's time for another Calendar Challenge...


There are the obvious 'lush' perspectives here (although in the last few days, I have never felt less like a drink in my life). There's the social glue of getting together with friends and putting the world to rights. The importance of a cracking red with a new 'local' pizza at the end of countless moving-house-again days. The virtual Cheers! across the miles with Lil Chicky via WhatsApp or Facebook. In fact, the sheer necessity of such an indugence if one is to have a balanced outlook on life.

And this brings me to an important point, one which a friend and I were discussing a few weeks back over...you guessed it...a bottle of red. We have both come to realise that, at this point (we are in our mid-forties), we are at about the halfway point in our lifetimes. (All going according to the statistics of course - as an Aussie sheila, it's expected I'll be popping my clogs at 85.6.)

Anyway, it made for some interesting discussion about what we would do and in fact what the world would be like for the next 40 years or so. Will our jobs still exist and if they do, what are the chances of us wanting to do them? And for how long? Where will we live? What things will we do to inform, amuse, educate, indulge ourselves? How do we shape the years that stretch ahead of us before they shape us? How much planning do we do and how much should we leave to serendipity, chance or spontaneous gut feeling?

I have no answers, this being a new and slightly unsettling line of thought for me. My life right now feels really full and fabulous, like the work of the last 44 years has come to fruition and given me the life I always dreamed of. Even so, I found myself picking up Investors Chronicle magazine with my Saturday paper this morning and over the last week or so 'google writing courses' keeps popping up on my mental to-do list. And I swear there's that brine-y cloying smell of the sea in my future somewhere.

It's not that I'm racing off into the wild blue yonder - breaking the glass in an emergency so to speak - with any of this yet but this recent twist of the kaleidoscope has made me wonder what would make me happiest in my future and how I give myself the wherewithal to be there, wherever there turns out to be.

My move to the UK was driven by that deep-down feeling in my gut that this was what was right and next in my life. And it was sudden so it makes me wonder what the next catalyst for change in life as I know it will be. I sincerely hope it won't be anything tragic. Perhaps it will just sneak up surreptitiously, moving me along a gentler path until suddenly I look around and say, 'Aah yes, this is exactly where I am meant to be.' 

Life has a funny way of showing us a path when we least expect it but to my way of thinking, I need to take a few more steps off the beaten track and forage about in the undergrowth a bit to understand what I might really like to have in my future.

Who knows what I might find. 

-------------------------------
Calendar Challenge 2014 - Back Catalogue
Keep Calm And Carry On
Sour Grapes
Water Water Everywhere

On The Shore

No comments: