Tuesday 26 February 2013

London's Hip Pocket..

Last Saturday I had one of those wonderful afternoons when I rediscovered a forgotten part of London.

After a lunch with the girls at the fabulous Banana Store, we emerged into the chilly air right in the midst of Southwark - the Catherdral rose grandly in front of us and with The Shard looming in the background, it was an amazing view of old and new.



Peeking around the corner we could see another nod to London's historic past.

The Golden Hind was the vessel that carried Frances Drake and his crew around the globe during the latter part of the 16th century and there is a full-sized replica of this berthed snugly at St Mary Overie Dock. Amazing to think that such a small craft carried a crew and supplies while it circumnavigated the world - it must have been cosy on board!




Just nearby are the remains of the Great Hall of the old Winchester Palace, built in the 13th century for the Bishops of Winchester.
 

And finally, not to be outdone, there was the famous Borough Market and we eagerly joined the late afternoon throng, milling around the stalls and soaking up the foodie atmosphere. We even added our own pecuniary contributions and came away with fresh produce to inspire the balance of our weekend eating - bread, fruit & veg, cheese, fish just to name a few of our respective vittels.

Gone fishing
Say cheese
That'll do donkey
This little piggy went to market
So that was my few hours exploring this jammed-packed hip pocket of London and I finally bundled myself on the tube home happily tired. Hope you've enjoyed your armchair tour and it inspires you to visit for yourself.

2 comments:

Jack Scott said...

I love Borough. I first got to know it when I was called to do jury service at Southwark Crown Court. Endless waiting around to sit on a case gave me the opportunity to explore.

Unknown said...

I'm glad I brought back some fond memories for you Jack.