Friday 24 August 2012

People In Glass Houses...

I am someone who loves technology.

Not in a really techno-geek, have to have the 'latest and greatest' kind of way. 

I love the clever ways that technology provides access to new ways of day to day working, convenient shortcuts for the most mind-numbing of tasks and some fascinating and alternatives views of the world.

 
On top of that, I'm lucky enough to work in the kind of job that's all about exploring new ideas so there's not a week that goes past where I don't find something that makes me go 'wow' or 'that's amazing'.

And recently I was reminded of a real 'techno-wow' moment I experienced earlier this year.

Global glass and ceramic manufacturer Corning has been beavering away to create their very own vision of the future. Each time I watch this, I feel absolutely amazed that this world, that not so long ago would have seemed completely unbelievable, could be possible in my lifetime. 

So strap yourself in, open your mind and check this out:


It's amazing right? And before any of you starts saying it's all a long way off, evidence suggests that the next generation - not Gen Y but the ones born in the last decade or so - are closer to this futuristic world than we think.

Watch this one year old work an iPad...and then watch her wonder why her motor skills aren't transferable. Keep an eye on her hands as she tries to 'activate' the magazine...

 
I remember when the film Minority Report was released (only 10 years ago) - it was lauded as visionary and yet so far-fetched. But it would appear that this future is heading our way and much sooner than we think, whether we Gen X-ers and our forebears like it or not.

An unstoppable wave of change is sweeping across the world we live in.

I think I'm ready...

No comments: