Friday 3 August 2012

I Come From A Land Down Under...

With the Olympics going on here in London, I've read/seen a lot of stuff about Australia and sporting heroes. 

Just last night, in the midst of profile after profile on Team GB (as is the perogative of the Host City), Cathy Freeman featured in a montage about 'The Face of the Games' for her star turn (both on and off the track) at the Olympics in Sydney in 2000 and legendary Aussie swimmer Ian Thorpe has been a key part of the commentary team at the Aquatics Centre for the swimming events.

Let's face it, there's nothing like a sporting great or two to bring out a bit of proud Aussie patriotism.


Today I was reading a post by Aussie-in-Doha, Kirsty Rice called The Fine Print In Your Passport. Just as the company you work for tells you that you are a representative of that company and are expected to conduct yourself as such, Kirsty reveals that same admonishment exists in the pages of your Australian passport. (For those of you that have one that is - the rest of you should check your own fine print.)

For many years, Australian airline QANTAS has run an overseas television campaign featuring Peter Allen's I Still Call Australia Home, the unofficial anthem for any self-respecting Aussie expat. The line 'no matter how far or how wide I roam, I still call Australia home' has always moved me (and most other Australians I know) and reminds me of the enormous pride I feel in being an Aussie amongst the ecclectic cultural melting pot of London.

But today Kirsty's post unearthed a new gem and for me, an absolute pearler that covers the two places I'm lucky enough to call home... 


So just you remember, I come from a land down under...

...you'd better run, you'd better take cover.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous. Makes me want to be an Aussie.

Unknown said...

As well you should Jack, as well you should ;-)