Tuesday 10 April 2012

One In A Million...

A week or so ago I was flicking through the Metro newspaper on the train to work when a headline caught my eye - The Science Of Falling In Love. Apparently there are more than 15 million singletons in the UK (or there were on the 29th March at any rate). I had no idea I was part of such a large contingent.

While the article turned out to be a glorified advertorial for dating site, e-harmony, I was mildly horrified at the statistic that 4 in 5 people lie about their age, weight and height online. Not that they lie - although while not surprised, I do find that a little perturbing - but that they feel they must in order to attract a partner.

Has our online world really forced us down such a shallow path? I mean I love a flattering profile pic as much as the next person but to lie about the essentials seems a little counter-productive. Doesn't it all come out in the wash if things go well?


And I do mean the wash. Let's talk about Spanx for a minute. For those of you who have been living under a rock don't know, Spanx is a brand of body shaping undergarment - control pants or fixit knickers if you will - that boost the butts, trim the thighs and nip the waists of women (and some men) the world over. By all accounts these garments can reduce you by up to a dress size. (Blokes reading this should substitute whatever the equivalent for yourselves is here.) It seems that humankind seeks to emulate some idealistic form - whatever that may be - that will give us the best chance of attracting a mate. 

Whether that be for one night only or for many nights to come, my point is this. Eventually it comes off, leaving what you previously squeezed into some fairly uncomfortable underwear, out there in all its glory.

There's knowing how to make the best of what you've got - I'm a pear-shaped, short-legged sheila so let's just say skinny jeans are not my best friend - but this body shaping stuff is supremely uncomfortable. The pragmatic side of me also wonders whether this means that we need a wardrobe in two sizes - under control and out of control.

So where is the line? I could go on for ages here - there's makeup, body treatments (from fake tan to cosmetic enhancement), hair extensions and even the humble WonderBra - and I've tried a few. But in considering singledom from my view of the world as a participant in the marketing profession (yes there's another little snippet about me for you), is there a whiff of caveat emptor in today's dating landscape? How far should one go to attract attention before the advertising becomes misleading and deceptive?

I'm told it's just a numbers game and you've got to be 'in it to win it'. But is it really...


...or is it possible to employ a little creative license, get lucky and beat the odds?

4 comments:

Alien said...

. . don't know about these male corset things, but if push comes to shove there could be a comeback for the cod-piece!

Unknown said...

Oooh er! I say!

Wait...is that why cricket is so popular in the Commonwealth?

Sheryl said...

I found you from @expatexplorer, and I'm so glad I did.

I've tried the whole on-line dating thing and have decided (after a few years) if I'm to move to another phase of life it's going to happen the old fashioned in your face way. I've run across too many problems the contemporary way.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sheryl and welcome.

I tend to agree with you...I've tried speed dating, dating agencies, internet dating with mixed results. My last significant other was my neighbour who found me sitting on my front doorstep painting my toenails. Who knows when and where the next one will happen!

Enjoy your fossick around Gidday from the UK.