Thursday 29 December 2011

Your Armchair Tour Of...London Wall

First things first - you might be wondering about the title of the post. It's not meant to suggest that I have been an armchair traveller - as you know I like to get out and about and see what there is to see. But I've had a few people leave comments or send messages that, in reading some of my wanderlust-themed posts (Nuremberg and Prague to cite a couple), it's like they get to visit without leaving their armchair. This is another one of those posts. If you are not in the mood for a meander, you should read something else.

This week's small lull between the festivities of Christmas and the euphoria of New Year's Eve means that Londoners aplenty have availed themselves of the opportunity for rest and relaxation (or a little sale shopping but I digress). Which means that the actual City of London is pretty deserted at this time of year - a  golden opportunity to mosey around free from the usual tyranny of the booted and suited.

My ultimate destination was the Museum of London, a museum I have not visited since I first 'got off the boat' in 2004, and one of my favourites. But the empty streets tempted me and I spent a little time meandering, fascinated, along London Wall.

London Wall is a street that runs through the City of London (also known as the Square Mile) that is located along the course of the first defensive wall that the Romans built around the beginning of the 3rd century AD.

On a quiet, traffic free day, it is easy to take photos and absorb a little of the atmosphere of London's Roman past:

Restored Roman arches along London Wall


All that is left of the church of St Alban in Wood Street.
Remember my visit to St Albans early in December?

A blast of modernity right amongst the history
Walkway along the remains of the preserved wall
The old and the new - why I love London
Deserted City streets on December 27th - no festive cheer here!
Ruins on the other side of London Wall (the street) - they're everywhere!
So I took this and then turned around...
...to see this. Looks a bit like a gigantic Meccano set to me.

Grace and elegance as I passed a random window

London's Square Mile

At this point I had wandered right along to the Museum and so disappeared indoors for at least a couple of hours... 


...and when I emerged at about 4.30pm, the day had dipped its lights in deference to the night. As it does here in London during December..and November...and January.

So this is what happened walking back to Moorgate:

Remember the Meccano building? Looks quite cool at night.
And those Roman arches? Them and my shadow
Finally, a touch of Christmas on the corner of London Wall and Moorgate
No significance other than it seemed like a good idea to take a pic.
Some rather fetching glasswork across the road - missed this during the daylight hours
The Dragon and St George's Cross, guarding the City of London
And so with London's guardian of the realm at my back it was time to board the bus and take my weary legs and aching feet back up north to my cosy flat and a hot bath. But not before a final snap from the bus stop...

 ...of largest licorice allsort I've ever seen!

We are so busy rushing to the destination sometimes we often forget that the getting there can be just as fabulous. In case you're wondering, this is where I went:


So much to see in such a short walk.

And here endeth the tour.

2 comments:

Jack Scott said...

A great tour. Weekends are always great in the square mile when all the bankers are at home spending their bonuses leaving the narrow streets to the visitors.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jack and the best bit is the narrow streets are free. Who needs banker bonuses??!!