Thursday 22 December 2011

3 Sleeps To Go...A Little Pre-Christmas Cheer

This week I have been in and out of central London to meet with friends for a spot of Christmas cheer. There's something about Christmas lights that make things all glistening and beautiful and so I wanted to share a little of this week's Christmas sparkle with those of you who have spent 2011 following the Gidday journey.

If you remember, my meanderings began with 20 sleeps to go and a wide-eyed wander down Oxford Street.

Creating Christmas magic in Oxford Street
And last week I was dashing down Regent Street to meet friends for a pre-Christmas dinner and managed to snap a couple of sneaky pics in the middle of the bustling crowds:

Christmas lights in Regent Street

So this week it was time to slow down and venture further afield to discover a little more magic:
The famous Liberty of London storefront


Liberty are renowned for their Christmas windows...




...but I have to say that, while these are impressive, my heart still belongs to Christmas windows of department store Myer in my hometown of Melbourne.

Source: Rachel Gray, weekendnotes.com
Anyway, I continued on to fall across that bastion of all things hip, Carnaby Street:


Hmmm the lights look...interesting
They're still um interesting close up!
I finally made my way down to the back streets below Piccadilly Circus to meet my friend...
I do love stumbling across London's amazing churches like this one on the corner of Jermyn and Duke of York Streets
...and after drinks were done, I was off for another festive feed at Westfield London. I was a little early so I managed some sparkly snaps here too.

This was hard to capture but is really spectacular. This is over an 'outdoor' arcade featuring lots of restaurants along the left and the shopping centre entrances to your right. I'm standing outside John Lewis after walking from the tube station close by. Gorgeous!
This is the unadorned ceiling inside - kind of attractive in a wavy way right?
...and their Christmas lights?  Oh no....
So there was nothing left to do but join my Aussie friend, feast on fab Mexican street food at Wahaca and enjoy my first foray into the world of churros...

Churros - gone! Let's face it, anything with this much chocolate is always festive
...before heading home to bask in my very own Christmas Lights at Gidday HQ.

Hope this adds a little sparkle to your Christmas!

ps...the post title says it all peeps. Just 3 sleeps to go. Just naggin' sayin'

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Liberty's. Fab store.

Unknown said...

Jack, I didn't get a chance to go in (had to keep moving in the general direction of drinks with friend)but it's on the list now!

Linda A. said...

Catching up on a few I missed. Love the photos. Amazing what gets everyone in the festive spirit!

Unknown said...

Linda, how true. People will always be distracted by bright shiny things...

Unknown said...


I have been collecting ideas for Christmas gifts for a couple of weeks. Last year it was the first time I gave home-made goodies to my friends and this year I´m going to ask everyone to either give something home made gifts

thanks a lot for sharing
Christmas Gift Ideas