Sunday 22 August 2010

Summertime...And The Blackberries Are Easy...

We went blackberry picking today....hunting out those fat juicy gems in amongst the thorns and undergrowth...in our car park!

For those of you new to Gidday from the UK or those that have simply forgotten, it was just over a year ago that I discovered the joys of plump, juicy, fresh blackberries and bemoaned the fact it had taken me 40 years to do this.

So today, being J's birthday and all (Happy Birthday honey!) and before the little blighters got eaten by other wildlife (human or otherwise), we ventured out into our street and carpark to snaffle as many as we could.  And snaffle we did...an almost-full ice-cream container.  And I have the proud scratches on my forearms and hands to prove it.

We were going to indulge in these tonight as a post birthday dinner treat but I'd already promised to make my first ever apple crumble (after a birthday resolution to master some basic dessert skills beyond cheese arrangement) so the blackberries are being held in abeyance until tomorrow - but are still on hand if the crumble is appalling.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Those blackberries are just begging to be put in a Summer Pudding.