Wednesday 4 March 2009

Studying 'Life in the United Kingdom'...

In order to submit my application next January for Unlimited Leave to Remain in the UK, I need to have passed the Life in the UK test which came in a few years ago for people wanting to permanently settle here. There's a book to read (Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship) which I thought I'd get hold of early and read every so often over the year. This was always my study pattern at school/uni too - never was a great 'crammer' so if I didn't know it by a few days before the exam, I had no hope!

I started reading last night and found that the history part is really interesting. I've heard of most of the things/people mentioned ie. signing of the Magna Carta at Runnymede, the Battle of Hastings in 1066, Oliver Cromwell, Boudicca and the Iceni etc. but had no real idea of the course of history and how these all fitted in. Given I love reading history, this is actually turning out to be more engrossing than I thought...

...no sign of daffodil blooms yet but the buds are getting yellower and I count five ready to blossom in my pot (a significant increase on last year's one) as well as three 'wild' ones on the edge of the path.

No comments: